Monday, August 31, 2009

SoHa

Alright! Whoo man I don't even know where to begin! Ralph, I know a little how you feel cause I don't think there are any white people that live in South Hartford. I ain’t seen one on the streets, and I walk around all day. All Puerto Ricans, or some other Latino decent, or Black - lots of Jamiacans around here. But I don't have the Language barrier so thats nice. Anyway, this place, so far, is great. I'm loving the change. Walking around in the city reminds me of the trip Spencer and I took to Seattle a while back and just walked around all day. Everything is run down. It is quite literally the hood. There's gotta be at least 2 barbershops on every commercialized city block. We stand OUT!

Oh man, but so far I've met some awesome people. This recent convert, his name is Jason Soto. 21 years old Puerto Rican kid. He is amazing! Baptized back in February. He almost knows as much as I do! Well, he understands it just the same, the principles and all. It gets me so pumped to see people like this. A testament that the gospel is real and that when people really really embrace it, it will change their lives and they will see incredible blessings for their sacrifices. Jason’s Mom is dead and his Dad is locked up. Lived on the streets in Miami when he was 14! Amazing story to be where he is today.

Some other good people too. We’re only teaching one person right now, but she's pretty solid. The most sincere person I’ve seen yet in Connecticut. She's just 19! Its wonderful to see young people who actually care about important things and not just getting hammered and having fun and stuff. She's down with that too, but also wants to know if all this is true.

Anyway, church yesterday was pretty good, getting to know the new ward. The ward is a bit divided here. Most people are either way low income or way high income because of the ward boundaries, I think theres a bit of tension sometimes. They need to be united somehow. Hopefully we can play a role in that in some way or another. I can feel that there is some amazing potential here and we are going to make it explode!! We’re going to see some miracles. Some of the members here have made real serious changes to be members of the church. You can imagine I'm sure in an urban melting pot like this. Pretty cool.

Companion - Elder Low. Ha man, he's a goofball. He doesn't try to be a goofball. He went to BYU before he came out and he is pretty pumped on BYU. He's from Seattle-ish. I'll just say that Elder Low really likes Elder Low. Ya know that movie Little Rascals? Remember the little know it all science kid named Waldo? He's kinda the antagonist. He steals Alfalfa’s girl? Thats who Elder Low initially reminded me of. Ha ha ha its silly. Its kinda one of those things where I'm really glad I have 3 more years of experience in the world.

Speaking of which, we were walking down the street the other night and Elder Low was talking and talking and talking about a bunch of stuff that I thought was pretty pointless, he does this from time to time, and I started to space out. Thinking. I thought about being here now versus 3 years ago. How much it will change my life to be here now instead of then. The much greater impact I am sure it will have on my life because of the added perspective and such. I certainly don't know what it would have been like to go 3 years ago or what I would have been like and all, but I am soooooo glad I came now. I became quite sure that I really was supposed to come now. I feel like my life will be so much better. And thinking back, it almost seems like it was supposed to all happen the way it did. Like God gave me snowboarding to occupy me till I was ready or something. Might sound far fetched, its just thoughts in my head. If I had even the slightest idea what was in store from serving a mission, Ida gone right away. But also, if I coulda seen how some of these younger kids are, and how so many of them, in many situations seem to "not get it" I'd surely have waited. For myself. For my own experience. I don't know, I don’t think I'm making any sense. I'm just real glad to be here now and not at any past point in time. To know what I know, have experienced what I've experienced, and become who I am over the past few years so that now I can become someone much much better. Something like that.

Oh - so this week it will have been one year since I prayed and knew I needed to go on a mission. A year! Time flies. And I've been here for 6 months! What a wonderful year its been. Really the last 2 years or so of my life have been just great. I'm a very lucky person. I think I've mentioned that I think I'm one of the luckiest. Who knows.

So yes, missions are great. The experiences are one of a kind, and the self improvement opportunities, they are incredible. Again, nowhere else is this possible. I have much more I could write, but I think I'm gonna call it good for now. Hartford is a wild new experience that I am very blessed to have so far. I'm scared and very excited.

Thank you for everyone’s prayers and support. I'm full of gratitude for so many things. I really am. Its overwhelming.

Oh, President and Sister Pehrson had us and the Spanish Hartford Elders over for dinner last night! It was so nice! It really was a real treat. A real treat. President is a great guy, it was wonderful to be able to have a more regular conversation with him/them. Good people. A blessing to have such a good mission president.

Love you all. So much.

David