Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Never Ending

Well, this week has been a great one because much patience and diligence has paid off for us. We haven’t found a solid new investigator for several weeks if not longer (we find investigators but many of them are hard to work with and keep in touch with and have all these crazy problems). So I am soo happy to add to our teaching pool. Especially legit folks. I love when people have questions. Seems like so few people actually think about life, about their purpose, about God and all that around here. It bums me out. Makes me lose faith sometimes because when we tell people about the most important thing they could ever know (if it is true), they often don’t seem to grasp the significance of it. What if GOD really did have a PROPHET on the earth? What if he really did have ONE TRUE CHURCH? All I’m saying is what if. If that were true, would that not be the most important and wonderful message in all the world? And many people often don’t comprehend it. So they don’t take the time to test the evidence. If they’d really test the evidence, we’d see a lot more fruits of our labors.

Anyway, we found these two new people and it is such a wonderful feeling. We’ve been trying so hard and being so straight with people that we talk to. We aren’t sugar coating stuff. We say it like it is. I don’t want to teach people who aren’t going to progress, ya know. But we’ve just been having a time actually finding the elect. Hartford is a crazy city.

On the down side, our top investigator at the moment might be leaving us. Another person who has much worse problems than any of us have ever dealt with. I won’t get too into it, but geeze, sometimes I forget that people deal with stuff like this. That there is a real world and sometimes it can be a cold cruel one to people. Natasha is her name if you recall. We finally were able to set a baptism date with her because some stuff was clearing up finally. That was Friday night. Well I talked to her on the phone later that night to see if she’d read this chapter yet in the BOM and all was well. That was at like 9:30. By 11:00 Saturday morning, we stopped by real quick cause I had to use the bathroom REALLY bad, she had left to NYC. She’ll be coming back to get some stuff at some point, but her phone doesn’t work cause she didn’t pay the bill, and she can’t stay here in CT anymore (she was staying at her aunts house and her aunt doesn’t want her there anymore), she’s not welcome at her dad’s house in new jersey, and her mom is just getting out of a mental institution and maybe will be getting an apt and Natasha can MAYBE stay with her. Who knows. We don’t really even know about all this stuff I just wrote. It’s a seriously unfortunate situation. And all this happened in such a short period of time it stinks! One minute we finally set a baptism date for our investigator who is totally ready to be baptized, the next morning, we might never see her again. I’m praying we can track her down and set her up with missionaries in NYC so she doesn’t fall by the wayside because the gospel has totally changed her life so far. Bummer huh. Plenty more to it, but you don’t want to hear it all.

Alright. So the colorful leaves are pretty much over, the temperature dropped way down, and it seemed like we were on our way to a Connecticut winter. But yesterday it was 70 degorees and today its about the same! Its crazy! It feels fantastic and I love it, but its very strange. 70 in CT on Nov. 9th!

Walking around all the time I get a lot of time to think about stuff. Look around and observe the world around me. Being a missionary is totally an in the world but not of the world kinda gig. Its said of being a missionary that the setting apart can be taken literally. A setting apart from the things of the world and such. I’ve really been feeling that way lately. I see all this stuff around me, the way people live, the things they do, the situations they get into, and I walk around in the middle of it. But I am not a part of it at all. Its an interesting feeling. I kinda like it almost. But yea – I feel set apart. Its cool.

Man the gospel is so sweet. It’s the coolest thing ever. Trasfers are next week so things could be a changin. We’ll see. I’m almost positive I’ll stay here, maybe I’ll get a new companion? Who knows. The Book of Mormon, I’m about to finish it for the 2nd time. That book is so great! I haven’t read a lot of things in my life, I haven’t always been a big reader of books unfortunately, but I’ve never had something that I wanted to read over and over, the same thing, again and again. And its amazing that one can get so much out of it every time. Something different every time. Something helpful for every situation. And I just want to read it everyday now! I have to! Or I feel distanced. There’s something to it, I’m telling ya!

Well anyway, this week has been nuts. So many wonderful things have happened, I’ve had so many inspirations and tender mercies and experiences, I’ve had so many blessings, been at the bottom of the barrel and on top of the mountains. Its great. The bottom of the barrel is not so great though, but I need it. I’m starting to understand what brings me there.

Seems like I ought to have more to say but if I start rambling more it’ll all just be a big mess. Life is good, being a missionary is absolutely mind blowing, and there is nothing I would rather be doing. But I had to experience it to find that out. I was thinking the other day about how the most important things on this earth that I have, I get to take with me. Testimony and Family. All the rest, all the things we get, eventually we won’t have em, so I was trying to tell myself that I might as well part with them now. Material stuff. Trying to simplify. But family is forever. Knowledge is forever. I love it. God is goooood.

David