Haw man, its been a week. Its been good, bad, long, short, boring, fun, hard, easy, its been everything. Seems every week is. I’ve kinda been noticing the power music can have. Of course in life, I already knew that well, but also with my spirituality. I love it. This past transfer we listened to a lot of soundtracks and things like that. Just seemed to be what everyone was into a little more. But lately I’ve been listening a little more to things like Mo-Tab and more spiritual stuff and have really felt this void filled. Something you barely notice is missing, but is there. And mom sent me some Christmas music that I’ve been listening to non-stop at home, and it is just great! Music is so wonderful and can have such an interesting and incredible effect on our, well, my, mood and attitidues and frame of mind.
Its been a hard week because now I’m kinda the “area authority” for a time until my companion gets to know the place better and we can work together more. So that’s tough because the bulk of all we’re responsible for falls on me. But this is a good thing. With Elder Low and I, we’d kinda get comfortable with what the other would do. I remember going through the exact same thing when Elder Tharp left – great personal growth in a much shorter amount of time. One of those things where when I need to rise to the occasion for something, I’m able to. Thankfully. I’ve been able to take charge and keep everytyhing rolling, for the most part. I love those kinds of opportunities. This past week I could really feel how, although its been really tough at times each day, I could really feel myself progressing in many ways. And for that I am very grateful. Its insane, the blessings I see out here. Its really just overwhelming. To think I almost didn’t do this. I would die if I was ever able to look back and see what I would have been sacrificing and giving up by not going on a mission. I seriously would want to die and never come back. Yikes. Ha, so good thing I’m out here, eh?
A member of the stake presidency spoke in church yesterday and said some excellent things. He made this comment that he heard a long time ago but that stuck with him. “The world says peace is the absence of conflict. But I say peace comes in times of conflict.” Something along those lines. I thought that was very interesting. If the world had “peace,” would people have peace? Would we be at peace just because their was no war? No conflict? Its been a thought provoker for me. I like it. Makes for some good pondering.
The same guy talked about God's tender mercies. He mentioned how the tender mercies of the Lord are seen by those with a grateful heart. I thought that was right on. Its been at times that I’ve been so wrapped up in myself that I’ve failed to notice the hand of God in my life. I thought about the statement, Have I seen the hand of the Lord today? Fortunately, I immediately thought of 2 things – 2 people that I know right now, that I know are where they are because of the hand of the Lord. Because of the gospel. It was cool to think about. So I’m trying to be mindful of that throughout the day – Have I seen the hand of the Lord today? If I find myself ever saying no, man I’m in big trouble!
My new companion, Elder Pikyavit, he’s from Vegas. He’s a good kid. Strong testimony. Very sincere. Relates very well with people. He’s very different than Elder Low, and so far, its been great. Not that Elder Low wasn’t great, but I’m really enjoying some new perspective. He’s a bit “looser” than me. President made that comment to me, and a lot of people have mentioned that he is a lot of fun. I had to kinda examine myself and my own standards, and where I was going to stand in certain circumstances. I think I kind of have to choose my battles in some respects with obedience and how precise and exact I’ll be with different people. What I’m going to make a fuss about. But I decided that I can’t come down. I can’t sacrifice obedience. I can’t let myself become less than I know I can be.
So far the Lord has blessed me in that aspect. I haven’t had any big problems, and I think that Elder Pikyavit and I will be able to really rise up together. Time will tell, I usually find the first week or two together to be pretty easy, we haven’t found eachother little quirks and mannerisms that annoy eachother yet. Perhaps they won’t arise. At any rate, I think this will be a good transfer and I’m really looking forward to it for a lot of reasons.
We got a nice family that has invited us for Thanksgiving, so that’s always nice. Life is good right now. The work is hard, but its good enough. I learn way to much. The more I learn, the more I want to learn and I get way overwhelmed with how much there is to learn and how bad I want to learn it all now! Patience though.
I love you all! Family!! What would I do with out you?!? Happy Thanksgiving, oh but not to Ralph and Laura, you don’t have Thanksgiving huh. Too bad. Ha. One perk of not being out of the country and becoming bilingual. One of the only ones though. Talk soon everyone! And talk soon mom and dad for real! In like a month! YES! I can maybe call Laura if you have a number for me to call???? Wouldn’that be cool!!
David Elder Kunz



