I have had one or two experiences so far that I've said to myself, it would have been worth it to come and do this for two years just to have been a part of whatever it was. If I got nothing else from a 2 year mission but to experience this or that thing, it would be worth it. One was this mission conference we had at the end of April. Amazing.
Well I had another one last night. I cannot even begin to describe it. I tried to in my journal last night but I couldn't even come close. I just wanted my whole body to explode with all the wonderful feelings and emotions that were building inside me. Our mission has been putting on this musical fireside in the 3 different stakes in the mission. Last night was the last one, for the New Haven Stake. I got to sing in the Choir for it. Not that I am exceptionally talented, but they just said whoever wants to sing in the choir should do it. So I did it.
There were a bunch of solos and quartets and pieces like that and all, but man oh man...it was incredible. It was called The Living Christ. There is some amazing talent here in our mission. No joke. Singing in the choir was such a blessing too. Only 2 songs, but it was really cool to learn a little bit about singing the separate parts and hearing it all come together.
Some people bore testimonies in between different pieces too. Recent converts, converts, missionaries, etc. You just can't even imagine the spirit there. I don't think I stopped smiling the whole time. I do that when I feel the spirit. It makes me smile. Good thing cause if it made me cry like it does some people I would have been crying the whole night!
Aaahhh, I wish I could give you all the tiniest taste of how joyous and wonderful the whole program was and great and wonderful spirit that was present. We got one of our investigators there and I'm quite sure it was a wonderful experience for her. Yes!
Okay, I could go on for hours about last night, so I'll leave it at that. It was a true blessing to be a part of it and have that opportunity just to be there. Music is so powerful and beautiful. It really, really is.
What else...This coming week is going to be so awesome. It is packed with appointments. Every day. I'm excited! We’re starting to meet some of the people in Branford, but its been tough to get contact with many of them unfortunately. We'll get there. There is this one lady Vicky who I could go on and on about. She is amazing and I'm in love with her! Not that kind of love. Ha. She is so sincere and intelligent. A quality human being. You just feel good talking with her. I'm very excited to keep meeting with her.
We have several investigators who are ready to be baptized. They are totally ready but they're a bunch of fence sitters! So many people are not used to making solid commitments. Joining the church is a pretty big commitment though, so I understand their concern, but its especially frustrating after a wonderful experience like I had last night and you want all these people to have those same kinds of experiences and opportunities and feelings! The fruits of the restored gospel are everywhere! They are nothing but wonderful! Look at them and recognize them and be a part of it! Please!
In addition to that, I really just want to tell them how they can't be completely cleansed from sin until they are baptized by God's Priesthood Authority! People need the Gospel (Faith, Repentence, BAPTISM, HOLY GHOST, Endure to End), the Restored Gospel, to be able to fully access Christs Atonement!! Please will you just do that!
Gosh. I will be transferred next month. I don't know this, but I do know this because I am finally starting to love being in Madison. Really. I haven't loved it this entire time. There have been times that I really liked it. But I really do love it here and so many of the wonderful people here. The ward is fantastic. It really is. I've seen so many things in the great families here that I want for myself in my own family some day. It is a blessing to be exposed to all these things.
Its hard to say, and I say that because I've only felt this way a short while, but I think I'm finally getting to the point where I really love being a missionary. I'm finally becoming completely accustomed to the lifestyle of it and the situations it puts us in, having had to deal with so many more issues by now and learning how to go about them. Something like that. Its only been 5 months, I'm not saying I'm an expert or anything like that! But I'm waaay more comfortable with so much of it. It’s nice. But it is still tough. Everyday. Everyday something brings me down. Mostly my own faults and shortcomings, but hopefully I'll keep working toward correcting those as best I can. But, life is good. Good people, good gospel. I just can't say enough right now about how wonderful the gospel is. TRUTH! Sure we don't comprehend it all, but it still is so perfect! The more I learn the more perfect and amazing it is! I could never adequately express in words how grateful I am that my life is what it is now. That I have the knowledge and testimony that I do, and what that means for the rest of my life. The eternal perspective it gives me! AAAHHHH ITS SO WONDERFUL!!!! Ha ha this really is such a blessing. There is so much to look forward to. So so much! I can't wait!
Yesterday we had 7 investigators at church! Seven! That’s my record so far. It was great! Kinda overwhelming trying to make sure everyone had a good experience and all, but it worked out well. We’re teaching some really awesome people right now. Several of whom I really, really hope get baptized and that I can stay in touch with forever. I've grown pretty close with a few people here, and it will be tough to leave! I love awesome people. Impressive people who make you want to be better.
There are still people who have some insane problems though. Sometimes its just like geeeeeze... count your blessings. Its so sad to see the messes some people get themselves into. What this world has in it. Its nice to be separated from it in so many different ways. Of course as a missionary I'm set apart from a lot of it, but even just having grown up where I did. Its nice. I'm an extremely fortunate individual. Often times I just can't believe it. How much the Lord has chosen to bless me in this life. I often wonder what it was like before we came here. Did we do things to earn our places here on earth? The situations we were/have been brought into? All I know is that I am a very blessed individual. Love the Lord!!
Satan has been after me lately though. He really has. Temptation! So many things. Its crazy sometimes, the opportunities for disobedience as a missionary. Satan works hardest when great things are on the horizon! That means there must be good things coming up if I can use my agency wisely. Hold to the rod! Straight and narrow.
Gosh I miss you all! So often I just want to call you up and chat for a few minutes. Love you all!
David Elder Kunz



