We had a little miracle here in the sticks in Deep River, Connecticut. I think I wrote all about that lady Carol last week. We gave her a blessing and all. This is the short and sweet version, but she got A LOT better. You can hear it in her voice when you talk to her on the phone. You can see it too. She isn't healed or anything, she's got a bunch of health problems, but she said that what she has experienced is truly nothing short of a miracle. It is so amazing to be a part of something like that. Like I said she isn't all better, but she is better. She said you just would have to feel what my headaches were like. And now, they aren't gone, but they are waaaaaay less intense, and waaay less frequent. She says it really has changed her life. Its so cool. It is such a blessing. The power of the priesthood, and most importantly, the power of FAITH. If miracles cease, it really is because of the unbelief of men (Moroni 7, I think). We saw her Friday and she was way better. It was great. We saw her again Sunday at CHURCH!! Here's a lady who wasn't sure she would ever come to church. She could barely leave the house and has aghoraphobia! She doens't like being around people! And Sunday, we arranged for a ride and she came to church, all 3 meetings. That is a miracle. She has showed so much faith through all this, its been such a blessing to see the power of it. Its been a blessing for me to have been able to exercise my own faith through so much of it and have so many great experiences. Great.
We just started teaching this other fella again who just got off probation. We've been trying to contact him foreeeever but he works 3-4 jobs paying off debts so he's got no time. But he just got off probation, finalized a divorce, and owes nobody any money or nothing. Its kind of like temporal baptism. He's free. But now he's ready to be baptized by authority. He's known he was gonna do it for a long time, but you can't be baptized if you're on parol/probation or whatever unless you get special permission. His name is Richard Faust and he is great. A wonderful level headed human being. One of about 2-3 investigators we have that are close enough to normal responsible people. So he's a pleasure and will probably be one of the people that we don't have to do hardly anything for but baptize. A golden investigator whom the Lord trully prepared. Its nice.
I was thinking after I finished a prayer the other day. People do meditation and yoga and stuff to get all spiritual and enlightened and all. Something like that right? To get in touch with your inner self and find peace? I've never really dabbled in that kind of thing, meditation and all. But I would imagine its a similar feeling to what we can feel during a sincere heartfelt prayer. When we get that nice feeling from the Holy Ghost that the Lord has heard our prayers. Made me think about the gift of the Holy Ghost and how great it can be. I have with me all the time what some people have to try so hard to feel just for a few minutes. We can all feel the power of the Holy Ghost when we do things like read the scriptures and pray and all. It will witness of truth. But its something we as members of the church can feel whenever we invite it. That great peace and comfort. I don't know if its the same kind of thing one gets from meditation and all, but I think its probably pretty close. Maybe, maybe not.
So it is seemingly summer time now. Its hot outside. I'm thinking what a blessing its been to have made it into July with such mild weather. The forests are so awesome and I want to walk around in them but I can't so much and I get destroyed by insane bugs if I do. So many bugs out here.
The area I'm in is about to get a lot bigger. We have 2 sets of Elders in our ward right now and its about to go down to one next week. So I'll (it will most likely be me because I don't think I'm getting transferred because Elder Tharp has been here 7 months +) be covering our whole ward boundaries. Get out the map, it will go from Branford, east to Old Saybrook, and north up to Haddam. Big old square. Lots of area. I don't think we’re getting any more miles though because our mission is having a big decrease in missionaries. From about 110 down to 76 by December. The mission just isn't having as much success as other places. Its just allocating resources. It makes sense from the church’s standpoint. But more work for us! The ward members HAVE to step it up a little. Tracting in an area that large just doesn't work so well. People have to invite their friends and family and all. Read Elder Perry's talk from April conference. Thats the way it really needs to be in this mission. I don't mean to sound whiny like oh the members need to do the work for us, but in Connecticut, we use a lot of time very inefficiently in my opinion.
I hear little bits and pieces here and there about whats going on in the world these days and it sounds pretty ugly. Is it much worse than when I left? I hope all is well and everyone is getting by. Live providently. Listen to the prophets council on the subject (I know, I know ,of course I'm going to say that). I pray that everyones needs are met in these difficult times. Be thankful and be careful.
So yea, I might get transferred this Sunday, but I think probably not. But Elder Tharp probably will, so that makes me a little nervous. Its bitter-sweet, ya know? Lotta responsibility for me. I kinda need that though. Just these few months out here has changed my perspective on a lot of things about life. What I want to accomplish in my life, what my goals are, etc. What is reallly important. What things are worth it to sacrifice. All that. Its such a wonderful blessing.
Love you all.
David



