Tuesday, September 28, 2010

one eternal round. ONE ETERNAL ROUND!

Well my dear family of darlings, today is a good day. I assume things are all well and good at home, or maybe I'd hear something. Dad, it was awesome to get a little update from you last week. I love hearing what's going on with everyone.

Last night we had dinner at this family's house, and the little girl said the greatest prayer I have ever heard. Oh man, it was hilarious. Blessing the food. She must be about 7 or so, and she can't say her "r"'s" very well. Something along the lines of, "Dear Heavenly Father, please bless that we will get a good seat on the plane if it goes down into the ocean, name of Jesus Christ Amen." Amen. Ha! It was great. We asked and they aren't going on a vacation or anything anytime soon. Not sure where she got it. But man I was cracking up. Kids are amazing and they say the coolest things I've ever heard. Please bless we'll get a good seat on the plane.

Well this week has been top notch. Best in a while overall I might say. We found two new people to teach. We're finally starting to have a halfway decent "teaching pool" again. One lady we found tracting and we taught her a fantastic first lesson out on her steps. The Spirit was really there, which is a miracle because a guy started mowing the lawn across the street right when Elder Miller started reciting the first vision. I saw a pillar of MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That's the best. NOT! Anyway, we had given her a Book of Mormon about a week earlier, and she said she hadn't read any of it yet. I told her by the time we were done talking, she was really going to want to read it. And she did! We even got her to pray at the end. She was real thankful we came by. Real nice woman. Adrienne.

So that was wonderful. Right after that we had dinner with this family, the Hansens. The Hansens are probably the most unique and original families I have met out here, and for that, I just love em. I love them for lots of other reasons too. Anyway, Sister Hansen got this lady at work she's been talking to a lot to come and we taught her too! The Hansen's have a boy on a mission down in Chile and they really seem to be being blessed with missionary opportunities. Its really cool to see. They're excited about it. Anyway, this girl we taught wasn't quite as wonderful of a lesson as the last, but it was still good. She's a talker and can get off topic real fast. She's kinda got a ways to go, but she sure needs the gospel. Its awful the situations people can get themselves into in this world sometimes. Let me just throw out there that sometimes tradition really needs to broken away from. "Traditions of our Fathers" aren't always the best things to keep going. But at any rate, it is a wonderful thing to see members of the church really trying to do missionary work.

What else... we had this awesome Leadership training meeting this week. President Pehrson talked about some of the leadership qualities portrayed by the Prophet Joseph Smith. 5 of them - Intelligence, desire to learn, introspection, love of people, I can't remember them all exactly. Anyway, it was great. A good way to kinda see how we compare and gauge what we can work on. I've been praying for one of these attributes the last few days and so far it seems the Lord is already starting to answer my prayers. Its wonderful. Getting toward the end of my mission its been a really good time to evaluate myself (kind of introspection, but thats not the one I've been praying about). So it was nice.

The Assistants also gave a wonderful training. I am very impressed with the two APs right now (assistants to the President). They're the best I've seen since I've been out here. One goes home in a few weeks and I'll be sad to see him go. You gotta have good leadership. Good examples. Otherwise things go south. Sorry I know ya all don't care much for this kinda stuff. Details.

So anyway, been a good week. Starting so see some greater fruits of our labor. I attribute it to patient persistence. Doing what we should even when it seems like its not doing anything. That's real tough, but I'm glad that as a missionary we know what we should be doing. At least I have something to trust in.

So the Carrasco's - you would not believe this couple! They are destined for great things in this church, let me tell you. She got up and bore her testimony yesterday, and my gosh. Best one of the day by FAR! It was a real testimony. She had so much passion in her voice and you KNEW that she KNEW it. She has experienced a change of heart, and she can feel it. I feel so immensely blessed to have been a part of their conversion. I really can't believe the Lord let me do that.

Well, I don't really know much of what else to say about the work. Its been good, and we have a pretty good looking week lined up right now. And its all going to end with the best two semi-annual days of the year - General Conference. Holy smokes, I am so excited. This week is going to fly. This past one did. This transfer has been, I don't even feel like I've been with Elder Miller a whole transfer yet! Wild. The Lord has been blessing me with a good attitude. With happiness. Pray for it, its there waiting.

Ah - we've been listening to these lectures on the Joseph Smith by Truman Madsen I believe. I borrowed them from another Elder. Man, its blowing my mind. This guy was amazing. As you look into his life, gosh, I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be around him. To associate with him. To hear him teach. To observe him interacting with people. The man was truly a prophet. He was the Lords instrument in doing a truly marvelous work and a wonder. I love it!!

Well the leaves are changing around here, but I think it might have been too dry of a summer to really get the full bang. Lots of leaves seem to already be dead before they really change. But we still catch glimpses. And oh how beautiful it is. I just can't even stop talking about how much I love the Fall! Its incredible! There were a few warm/hot days this week and I kept saying to ELder Miller, don't worry, we gotta soak it up, because we may not have another hot day on our missions! Soon it'll be winter and we'll be bundling up for all we're worth. Supposed to be a nasty winter! Bring it on! No don't.

Well in three weeks I see myself leaving this area. Maybe, maybe not, but the thought of it is really saddening me lately. This area is fantastic. I think I like it more than Hartford now. And I do love Hartford (as a missionary). There are so many wonderful people here! This ward is the best! There's a good balance of work and places to work in. Its PERFECT! Ha. Anyway, I hope I stay longer, I could easily do 3 transfers with ELder Miller, we have minimal issues. I've been blessed so much with companions! Life is good. Of course when things are good its easy to say life is good. But I guess right now, its good. So I'll soak it up and remember now instead of the rough days. That seems to be the way things usually go. Isn't that nice? God built that into us, to remember the good more than the bad.

Well, here's a nice quote from that John Smith, that's Joseph Smith, ah yes, Jospeh Smith - Every wave of adversity, has only brought me closer to divinity. Beautiful. May the Lord bless you all in your respected endeavors. He is mindful of us all, ever so much. So lets stop feeling sorry for ourselves and focus on what we can do. Not what we can't. I was counciled to do that some time ago by a wise man. Seems to work.

I love you all so much! Can you believe the end is nigh? I was thinking this past week for a moment - 5 months? 5 months!?!! My mission is basically over. That stinks. Oh the passage of time. So bittersweet. But I will surely make the most of what I have left. Savor it. Hope you'll all do the same. Breath the air, eat the fruit, drink the drink. Its gooooood.

Love Elder Kunz!