Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Atonement good

Gosh everyone, I don't even know where to begin. Waterbury is crazy. Nah I thinks its just different. Leaving Hartford was so bittersweet. I was ready for a change, but I also loved so many people there and really really miss it. I can't even begin to get into all the situations that we've got here. Nothing too crazy, just a lot of interesting circumstances. This place is very different.

Lets see...I'll start by being honest. This past week has felt like 2 weeks and throughout the first part, my attitude had pretty much become, "this place sucks." Terrible I know. It seemed like all the people we were meeting with weren't going to go anywhere, and my faith that they could change was really lacking. But since day one I've just been praying and praying and praying that I could love these people here. That I could love Waterbury. The ward had 23 baptisms last year, the ward is known for being absolutely amazing, and the area's supposed to be on fire. So in that sense I'm extremely lucky to be here. But I was not sure why or how. My first impressions were much the opposite. Even the ward seemed a bit off. Strange how these things can happen.

But I think it really is all in your attitude. The Lord has blessed me, even in just the short time I've been here to be able to start feeling a lot more positive about it all. I've realized that whether I feel like people are going to progress or not, I've only just met them, and until I see a fair amount of evidence otherwise, I need to give them my best effort. Show my faith. And again, already I've seen the blessings. I feel better.

Elder Mansfield. Boy, you haven't met a kid like this in a long time. The most peculiar boy I've hung out with in a while. He reminds of me of certain people I've met throughout life. Just very strange. I don't know what makes him tick, ya know. Oddball indeed. President is pretty worried about him and wants me to keep a real close eye on him. Its interesting. He's definitely quirky, but he's been the least of my worries so far. He's becoming more of my worries, but simultaneously my worries are generally decreasing. I'll figure him out I hope. I see a lot of potential in him, and the way he is, and I want to be able to bring that out. Right now he's just kinda along for the ride, and he seems to be enjoying it quite a bit, but as a missionary, there's a lot more to it. Gotta be a do-er. So I'm hoping I can get him on that track.

But honestly, he's been way way way more helpful than I had anticipated, although he has an absolutely terrible memory. Awesome, huh. Its a tough thing because all day I see things I want to talk to him about, but I can't just dump it all on him at once, and I don't want to ever sound condescending, so its a hard thing to judge how to go about "correcting" him. One thing I do know is that I helped my last companion Elder Pikyavit a ton, and I really didn't know how. I just did what I thought I should, lead by example, and good things came from it for both of us. So I just trust that if I try my best and do what I can as I seek the spirit, things will go well and hopefully just come as they need to. I've been very blessed to feel like an instrument in the Lords hands in these ways, so in that sense I really don't know what the heck I'm doing. It just comes. Its like giving a priesthood blessing. The words sometimes just come. So I think it will be like that with Elder Mansifield. LIne upon line and such. It will be a fantastic learning opportunity for both of us. But I will definitely be learning a lot more about patience!

Lets see what else... actually just last night we had 2 miracles happen. One was with Elder Mansfield, and one with me. IT was awesome. We taught, mostly I taught, this awesome lesson to this girl who is engaged to a member. The miracle was that Elder Mansfield bore a short testimony toward the end and just slapped us all with the Spirit! It was so awesome! I haven't heard him do anything like that at all till this point so I was absolutely thrilled to hear and feel it. So we're going to try and keep that going. Testify! But he does gotta learn to teach too. So much to work on!

Oh - 3 miracles! I'm gonna keep the second one private for now, but the last one is that last night I found out that Elder Mansfield hasn't been taking his A.D.D. medication ever since I got with him. President called me last night to check up on him, see how he was doing and all. I gave him a rundown, and President told me to make sure he's taking his meds each day. I actually knew he hadn't been taking them, and thought it strange that Elder Mansfield needed to take them so bad. He didn't seem THAT A.D.D. since I'd been with him. After the call I talked to Elder Mansfield a bit about it. He said President is worried because he's seen him when he's off his meds. Apparently he's kinda nuts! Elder Mansfield told me its basically a miracle that he's been as calm as has. I don't know why, or whats going on, but its cool. Kid's been off Meds for a week, and has seemed basically normal for a kid like hiim. Miracle. Seriously. But I guess he's gonna start taking them again today. I hope he doesn't just chill out way too much. Natasha in Hartford had ADD and she was SO hard to keep focused sometimes. He's way better than her so far. I don't know we'll see what happens.

So I'm just trying to get a feel for this place and the people and keep a lot of love in my heart. I hate not being "in the know" in these situations, so its hard the first couple weeks in an area for me. It will definitely be a challenge, but it will be a blessing for sure. I just can't even believe being on a mission. I really can't believe it. Its way to good to be true.

Ma, thanks for the banana bread - its seriously amazing and I want to eat it forever! Thanks for not sending me candy I really don't need candy cause I love it way too much. Gosh, I forget all the things I want to tell you all all about everytime I sit down here. This city is so hilly. We have a car full time now, which will be a big change. But it's kinda good cause its way bigger than Hartford and riding a bike here would be an absolute nightmare. I'm gonna gain some weight though cause my comp doesn't exercise so I just have to do push ups and sit ups in the moring, and I'm going to be in a car all the time not walking around as much as in Hartford. And we get fed by the members about 3 times more than we did in Hartford. Serously. I've had dinner everyday I've been here but one. I'm gonna get huge! Ha ha we'll see. Alright, I think thats all I got for now. I've been through so many mental battles in the past few weeks and months its crazy sometimes. I got this quote I just put on my wall - "As missionary, you have no right to fear." I think thats what it says. El propheto Thomas S. Monson. I been trying to have that attitude. God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and love something, something in 2 Timothy. Nothing to fear. Just Trust the Lord and do all I can. Be obedient.

Love ya

David Elder Kunz