This weeks been pretty good. Feels like a ton has happened. Wednesday we had zone conference and it feels like it was forever ago! But geeze zone conference was so awesome! Seems they just get better and better. We have them once a month now instead of once a transfer (6 weeks). I’m excited about that. One of the very first things president Pehrson said was that he loved us, but that it is more of a compliment to be trusted than to be loved. I thought that was good. Of course he loves us. Both President and the Lord. But to be trusted by both of those people is something more indeed. Elder Oaks gave a real good talk in conference about how Gods love doesn’t trump the need to be obedient to His commandments. Love and Law I think it was called. Apostles are amazing. They are called of God. The more I get to see President Pehrson and hear his counsel and see how well he is able to approach all the situations he is put in as a mission president, the more I can see that he is truly called of God and is very much lead by His hand in all things. I just LOVE the opportunity to have such access to someone like that. To hear his counsel so often and to have a relationship with him. Blessings!
We learned all kinds of wonderful things at zone Conference. They also ended differently this time by giving us 30-40 minutes for testimonies if we desired. It was great. By the end of this meeting there was such an amazing spirit. Like I haven’t felt in a long time. That full up feeling of joy! Perfect peace. I love it! The meeting closed with Nearer My God To Thee, which is one of my favorites, so that really was the cherry on top for me. So good. The gospel is true.
Last night we taught a lesson to this cool guy Jose. He’s done ALL kinds of research on ALL kinds of things. He’s got all kinds of wild ideas and philosophies. Seriously. But he’s searching for truth. You can tell. He said, amidst all these things he has read and researched, he has not felt anything. He wants to feel something. He’s still not even sure there’s a God. He thinks there must be. But to him he’s never had any legitimate evidence or proof. We had a really good lesson with him and I really felt the power and authority of my calling as I was very bold with him and testified of many things. It is such a wonderful feeling and was a huge answer to many prayers I have been offering. There’s this verse in Mosiah 2:24 I think. Basically says that as we keep the commandments, immediately the Lord blesses us. I felt that . Immediately. I’m not going to tell the whole story now though. Just one more great experience. Add it to the list. I remember getting set apart. President Chandler said I would have spiritual experiences without number. In the beginning that was kinda hard to grasp, but I tell you what, it is being fulfilled. It’s the best!
Well I continue to be blown away by all the blessings of being out here. Seriously. I was reading in also in Mosiah 2 how if I was to render all the thanks my whole soul had power to posses, to God, for all the great blessings of life (and for me as I read this – a mission), and serve him with my whole soul, “yet ye would be unprofitable sevants.” Man that hit home for me. I was just like YES! Exactly. The Lord is so merciful to us! It amazes me. How he continues to bless me/us even when I just can’t get it right. He really must reward us for our desires as well as out actions. He’s given us so much and we can’t get it right on our own. For doing anything good, he blesses us. Immediately. Oh how great the goodness of our God. I love that verse in 2 Ne 9, and I found one in opposition to it the other day in Heleman 12 – O how great is the nothingness of the childrean of men; yea, even they are less than the dust of the earth. I thought to myself, Yes. Yes we are. But the Lord just pours out His blessings and mercies upon us. I don’t know how I could ever be so lucky when so many other people out there have it so bad! Why? Why me? What did I do? And for all these blessings I feel like I could never possibly repay Him. And I guess that’s what makes me an unprofitable servant, like the scripture says. We could never give Him what he’s given us. President Pehrson made the comment a while back and made it again in ZC last week, that the only thing we can give the Lord is our Agency. We can give him our agency by choosing right over wrong. Good over evil. His way over all others. And as we do that, we have the power to bind Satan. Obedience. I thought that was great.
Alright I’ve probably gotten spiritual enough for some of you for the time being. Lets see… Elder Pikyavit and I have been having some good talks while walking around the city. He is an interesting person. I often see so much of what I feel I would have been, had I come at 19, in many of the Elders out here. Companions I’ve had. I was a very different person back then, and I likely would have been a different Elder. Makes me look up to some of the really great Elders out here who are choosing the best from the get-go, and didn’t need 3 more years to grow up before they would do that. Good kids. Good people.
I bought a mango last week and had some in a smoothie the other day and the rest of it in my oatmeal this morning. It was delicious! It was the best mango I’ve bought on my mission. It was perfect! I love fruit. I love food. I want to be in Italy with Laura eating all the amazing food out there.
I really can’t think of anything else to say right now. I guess I’m done. Of course I miss you all like this much (my arms are spread out real real wide-like) and look forward to having our family back in tact. Next Christmas is gonna be wild. All of you will probably be at home, but not me, and I’ll only have like 2 months until I will be home! That’ll be crazy. Lots of anticipation. That phone call home will be fun. I’m mostly staying warm. Love everyone!
David



