WHAT IS THIS!?!?? I'm not even going to try. Yesterday was absolutely marvelous. Well, that's a slight overstatement, but it was lovely. I do not want to go home. I really have no interest in it right now. I'm sure I feel the same way Laura felt after Italy. I talk to people like I'm still going to be here. In Ward Council yesterday morning I presented something briefly like I was going to be there to follow through with it. I feel like I am. They all knew I was leaving, but I don't want to leave! My head is in the work and it has been for so long I can't imagine trying to change my frame of mind. I thought several times lately, what do I have to come home to? A family...that's pretty much it. And not that I don't love you all to bits, but I'm pretty comfortable out here by now. I have a few CDs, a guitar, I can't think of too much else at home. Aaahhhh. So weird.
A few folks said some really nice things to me yesterday at church. It means the world to me, it really does. Some people I really respected. When I came to the Avon Ward, it had a very different feel than the Woodbridge Ward. I didn't think I could love it like I loved Woodbridge. But, surprise surprise, I DO! I just love it. I can't say it better than that. Its wonderful. I am going to miss it so much! Connecticut. People. Interacting and working like we do out here. It is so special. Its so strange to type this email. Its so bittersweet. I love it but its awful, absolutely awful! At any rate, I love the Saints of Connecticut.
Twas a good week as usual. I had an exchange the other day with the Elder that will be replacing me here in Avon. He's a great kid, I wish I could have served with him. On that note I wish I could have served with SO many Elders out here. I love our mission. Its the best. Some good kids. We all struggle, but everyone has such great potential that I see. And you want them to just rise up! Ha, that's probably how God feels. Anyway, good exchange with this Elder, Elder Taylor. From Idaho Falls.
Tuesday and Wednesday were both fantastic days. Nothing especially mind-blowing, they were just NICE. We went out as a District for lunch Tues, and a member took us out to lunch Wednesday. It was cushy. We got fed Tuesday night and a member took us out Wednesday for dinner. So I was not complaining about the lavish lifestyle of eating out all the time. Just enjoying the ride. Elder Burbidge and I did a lot of tracting in the afternoon both days. One day it was freezing cold and we about lost our toes walking around, but we did and we remembered the Pioneers and we look back with a smile. We actually had a really fun time both days, just knocking on doors. Helps to be in good company, no doubt. We were having fun with pass-along cards and placing them in creative places on people's doorsteps. I love Elder Burbidge. He's like a high energy, Mormon version of my old friend Anton. Tracting, eating, working, etc, those two days mimicked each other and they were wonderful. Smiling all day. Even had some good experiences on Facebook.
AH HA! Somehow I almost forgot that on Thursday, for the first time in two years, I went to the Temple! What do I say about that...the biggest thing I think is that it was peaceful. It was freedom. I can see why people go there to get away from the world, and how they can experience that refuge there. Peace. The House of the Lord. The Boston Temple has a theme of the Tree of Life. Its neat. Its everywhere. However, I did feel extremely overwhelmed. I have learned a thing or two over the past two years, believe it or not, and you all know how much I think about things these days. Ponder. And to go in there, knowing that everything is symbolic, and to go through the endowment considering that, and having gained a very minute amount of insight into some of what happens, I had about 579 questions. What does this mean, what does that mean, is that like this thing, or is that symbolic of when this happened, etc etc ETC!! I suppose if I went to the Temple everyday for the rest of my life it would not be enough time to "get" what is in there. Yes, I was overwhelmed by the symbolism. The potential symbolism found throughout. I'm about convinced that the Plan of Salvation can be found in much greater detail within the Temple and the progression of the Endowment. I could be wrong. I'm basically an infant in all things pertaining to the Temple. But come on - Eternal Progression. Who knows.
Whatever it is that is there, there is peace. Even amidst the confusion of it all, there is peace. And I much enjoyed that. I had always thought I would study the Temple for days prior to going again, but finding myself without the time I would have thought I would need, I remembered that its not like I can't go back for two more years again! I can go as often as I make it a priority now. Isn't that nice.
I went with the four Elders I came out here with, that I served in the MTC with. Now there is something to this I think, going to the Temple at the end of your mission with the Elders you came out with. It causes some serious retrospect. Here we all sit the night before in the mission home, with our whole missions behind us. Wondering what on earth happened. How we suddenly find ourselves at the end. Time is a funny thing. Mom sent a talk some time ago, the speaker says how we're never really at home in time. I think its true. The passage of time always feels so inconsistent depending on our circumstances. Well, I had the opportunity to serve with two of these Elders, Elder Reynolds and Elder Miller, both of them I love dearly. Great kids. So there was much to look back on for us all, especially me. I can hardly fathom how much the Lord has blessed me out here with so many rich experiences and SO much mercy and patience. I really cannot believe it's the end. I'm not gonna say it flew by. In the end looking back we always say that. But it is truly hard to believe that this is finished. I cannot come back. But I don't have too many regrets. So that feels good. I've come to learn a great deal about how the Lord woks with us. That is an incredible blessing. I may have said this before, but I think one of the greatest blessings of this experience for me has been perspective. My life has been put into perspective in many ways. I'm very thankful for that.
Last night I ate my last meal at a member's house. Tomorrow I will bear my last testimony as a missionary. All these little things like that. Its surreal. I don't like it one bit. I thought the other day about how a mission is like a microcosm of life. I've thought that before many times, but the other day it really rang true in the sense that my time has come. What I have not become I will not. What I have not done I will not. Truly we must make the most of what we have been given.
What else do I say familia? I have proselyted my last hour. I have knocked my last door. I have barely started packing though! I really just can't seem to come to grips with the reality of what is about to happen. Its CRAZY! But it is life and I will figure it out somehow. I worry about many things, but hopefully it won't be too bad. It is going to take a LOT of discipline and commitment to do what I know I need to do when I come home. I've set a few goals for things I'd like to do and continue to do. The "real" world will be interesting.
I gotta stop all this pondering and retrospecting. It makes me feel weird. I'm excited to come home okay. I really am, its just EXTREMELY sad to leave all this behind. Best time of my life. Best two years, ha ha. I love being a missionary. I love having this tag on my chest. I'm going to miss it. Really.
Okay, well, I suppose enough said at this point. Wednesday around 3 o'clock right?! Boise, Idaho! Hope there aren't any serious storms, eh? God be with you till we meet again! Remember sitting in that room in the MTC singing Called to Serve? I remember Dad looking over to me saying "I can't believe you're really doing this." I loved that. I did it. I did my best. See you Wednesday.
Love ELDER Kunz. For the last time:( Please don't call me David when I get off the plane.



