Monday, February 14, 2011

The more we learn, the less we know. Its true.

I forgot my journal which sometimes helps to jog my memory of the week. But at any rate, good week. In my mind I know this is my last week. But it doesn't feel like it at all. I feel like I'll be here 6 more months at least. Its so strange. Maybe I mentioned this, but I haven't liked the anticipation of these last few weeks one bit. Prior to about a month ago, the end was far enough off that it didn't matter. It wasn't worth thinking about it. But now...Oh man its close. And its really weird sometimes. It just doesn't sink in. Whatever. So is life.

Ah so we met with that guy Rob yesterday. First time in a while for us. He lives in the boundaries of another ward so we kinda turned him over to those Elders. Sad, but we're still in touch with him. We just hadn't had time to go to any appointments. But yesterday we did and it was awesome! I love Rob so much. He is amazing and I wish I could hang out with him and be friends all the time. Ha. He's got such a humble heart right now and knows exactly what he needs to be doing. Its amazing. He's going to be baptized March 6. Happy day for Mom, happy day for Rob, but it will be a SAD day for me! Nah, it will be bittersweet. Let me tell you what is going to happen after I leave - the 27th D. Todd Christofferson is visiting the Hartford Stake. Gonna miss that. The next weekend Rob gets baptized and I'm going to cry the whole day because I'm not there. A few weeks after that, a General Authority is visiting our mission. Elder Zwick. I'm gonna miss that. And I'm sure a thousand other marvelous miracles and events will also occur. And I'll just be David. BORRRRING! Ha ha I'm just kidding. Well, kind of not, but kind of. Just to say I'll miss a few awesome things out here on the east side. But I'll be in a good place, won't I.

Anyway, Rob is the man. Getting baptized, beginning a new life. Amazing to see and be a part of. I remember sitting down with him the first day he walked into church. Wow.

So we are working with this other guy who is a free mason. He showed us his lodge yesterday. It was pretty neat. Some good values there. And some correlations between us as many of us are aware of. I think its interesting when folks think we stole it from them. Even our investigator knew the traditions went way back to Solomon. And much of the symbolism for them differs from us. But it was neat to see. I've always kind of liked the idea of brotherhood. People you can trust in any case because of a bond you share. Ideally that's the church though. This guy in particular though, he's great. I don't know if he's going to be joining the church in the especially near future, but he seems to really appreciate me giving him my best shot. He's had a partially rough past and done some things nobody would be proud of, and has some attitudes that don't exactly line up with the church. But I didn't judge him at all and I've tried to help him, and he has really appreciated that. He's told me many times if ever I need anything, anything, to not hesitate to ask him. And he says it with great sincerity. Its neat to think, here is a guy who is willing to do almost anything for me that he can. How nice. I love these things. The little relationships you make with people as a missionary. There's only a few that I can even think perhaps I've done anything very serious for, and some perhaps I won't run into again. But the few make it worth it in hindsight. Its nice. People excite me more and more.

This lady Mary we've been working with for a while, she's got a real hectic life and we haven't been super consistent meeting with her lately, but she still wants it. Anyway, Elder Burbidge ordered her the Book of Mormon on ASL(sign language). She's not deaf, but she a very talented signer. We watched a church video with the sign language translator and she LOVED it. Said it made the principles SO much more clear. Its pretty cool. Anyway, if you could have seen her when we gave her this ASL BofM. That day she had her car repossessed (wrongfully), she found out somebody was suing her, and her pipes started leaking all over the place. Good day huh. Well we showed up in the afternoon, put it in her hands, and just watched her heart melt. I mean melt. It was wonderful! It made her completely forget all her other worries and cares, she was soooo happy! I loved it! It was perfect timing. I don't know how we do that sometimes, but it happens. The Holy Ghost guides us. Love it! Mary's life is crazy, it got completely flipped upside down last summer. We've helped her a lot and been able to see some great progress happen for her in her life because of some of the service we've done for her. Her house has a kitchen and a bathroom now! We didn't do that, but we helped facilitate it. Of course, it feels good. She's a wonderful lady and I am sure she'll join the church soon, once some things cool down a bit.

We had a Zone Conference this week again, we had to reschedule one or two because of the snow last week. It was nice, they always are. We closed with a big testimony meeting where we go around and all the missionaries bear their testimonies. I LOVE this. There is a fantastic spirit to it. It gives you such a good feel for each Elder/Sister and where they're at. I absolutely love the missionaries in this mission. I love em and I will be so sad to leave them. The best and the less best alike. They come out and we all have our struggles and we all grow and progress. There is such a special bond. At least to me there is. Connecticut Hartford. We are always surrounded by our best friends. So it seems to me.

On that note, yesterday I was thinking about what it will be like flying home. Being in the airport. I will alone! For two years I have had someone with me! I used to enjoy solitude and the time to be alone. But honestly I think I am really going to miss it! But I have had great companions for the past year or so, and generally had great ones my whole mission. And I think I'm going to miss always having someone to talk to. Just an observation.

Well gosh everybody...Mom I got your letter, it was fantastic as usual. So there's going to be a bit of a crowd at the airport eh? That will be neat. This is my second to last letter huh. That's wild! Wow I wish I had more insights and "pearls of wisdom" to impart. Its funny, these letters so depend on the mood I'm in when I sit down. I wish I could tell you of all my thoughts and experiences, but I don't get 10% of them recorded myself. But generally, I just love love LOVE the gospel. It is crazy! Amazes me everyday. Sometimes I feel terrified to come home and deal with everything its going to bring. But its comforting to know, generally, exactly what I need to do to stay on track. I might not know what to do, but I know what to do to receive guidance from on high, and to be able to put some measure of trust in something greater than myself, who has my best interest in mind. That is a blessing. To receive guidance. I taught Gospel Principles yesterday on the Holy Ghost. Some people told some very inspiring stories about experiences they have had with the Holy Ghost. I LOVE it! It is so powerful to hear other people's experiences when you say to yourself - That really happened?!?! Some things are just too much to try and justify. The Lord knows us and blesses us. Lovely.

I go to the Temple this week for the first time in basically two years. Its kind of this rite of passage here, we get to go up to Boston at the end of our missions for two sessions. My gosh I am so excited. I have learned lots of interesting things over the months, and now I can finally have a refresher! REMEMBER. Wow that word has been so impressed upon me the past month plus. If we truly remember, it causes us to act. To do something. It seems to me it is, like faith, an action word. Remember. How important to remember. Its hard cause we forget. There is wisdom huh. Ha.

Snap, well I suppose that's about all I got this morning. I could never tell you all how much being a missionary has meant to me and how I will cherish this the rest of my life. How merciful the Lord is to suffer myself and all of us to come do this work in spite of our countless weaknesses. It is a miracle. I heard a funny quote I've mentioned before - If the church wasn't true, the missionaries would have ruined it long ago. Ha, something to that effect. But golly is it true. Sometimes us young boys blow it. But God sure has a plan and seems to keep things working somehow. Anyway, perhaps I'm finally starting to "get" what I'm doing out here, and how incredible it is. Perhaps that's just part of the introspection and reflection that comes at the end of a journey like this. Mind blowing.

Okay, well I'll talk to you ONCE more next week. Can you even believe that? Can you even believe that?! I can't. Time is time and goes at the same pace, but at the end it always seems to have gone faster. Patience is truly a virtue. Virtue is a virtue too. Actually they're Christlike attributes. Love you!

Elder Kunz