We had a great lesson with this woman this week named Kendra. She's a wonderful woman. She's been taught by many missionaries, but its a thing where you kind of wonder, what have the missionaries been doing all the time they've been coming over here? However, she has read the Book of Mormon all the way through a while back. It makes sense to her that the book is true. Logically she recognizes that someone could not write that book. That is is clearly inspired by something greater than imagination or whatever else. That's great when people can recognize that, but its also kind of a detriment becuase when you ask them to start making serious changes, there's not much of a foundation. People need to feel something. The Spirit. Something greater than themselves, that tells them the change is worth it. Nevertheless, this lady is great, and we had this lesson with her trying to address one of her main concerns about us. Gay marriage. And things relating to it. It was an excellent lesson. We brought President and Sister Pehrson with us, and they seemed to really enjoy it. I think Kendra did too, she's an intelligent, respectable person, and I suppose it was nice for her to chat with some other people, somewhat of her same demographic. At any rate, we saw a subtle change after some teaching and conversation. We didn't change her mind necessarily, but we have her a much better perspective. After further studying the churches stance on this issue, I found it to be a very positive stance. To me it makes sense. We certainly don't look down on gays (not to say some members unfortunately may, but generally speaking the church itself does not), we just believe in, support, and live the Law of Chastity. This law has standards that we uphold because we know it comes from God. I suppose that's where the faith aspect comes in. A law from God. I asked her, who sets the standard? There are all kinds of commandments we either live, or are aware of, or hear about, etc. Commandments. Where do these come from? How are they established? One most people wouldn't argue with is thou shalt not kill, right? Well who says we shouldn't kill people? God? Yes of course God. But if a person is going to reject the Law of Chastity as being from God, then whose to say the rest of these "commandments" are not from God? Whose to say stealing and mudering and adultery aren't perfectly acceptable behaviors? These are extreme examples of course. I just mean to say that most of us, gay straight, American, Chinese, liberal, or conservative, probably agree on certain standards of living. And most of these initially came from God. How? Through a prophet. That's another story of course. At any rate, our invitation to this woman was to really ponder on some of these things and pray on it. It was excellent, it appeared we really gave her some good things to chew on. Its a neat thing to see. The gospel makes sense. Rejection typically comes because of ignorance. Not examining the full picture, unfortunately. Well it also come because of pride, ha ha. Always pride. Thinking we know better. I have a large problem with that.
So that was a very enjoyable and spiritual lesson.
The Avon Ward is fantastic. I love these people. They're different than my friends in Hamden, but of course we're all different. The ward is missionary minded. Elder Rogers and I have been noticing how much the success and prosperity, if you want to call it that, of a Ward depends in great measure of the Bishop. The Bishop here is really on the ball. He's enthusiastic and he loves his people. The Bishop down in the Woodbridge Ward (Hamden) is the same way. Full of desire. And in regards to missionary work, they are quite supportive. And it trickles down. Not to say its entirely dependent upon the Bishop, but when the Ward leadership is supportive, the ward tends to be. There is an obvious corelation throughout the mission. The members here bring people to church. They are trying to share the gospel with people. Not like crazy, but they're doing it. We have some excellent referrals in the pipeline, we're hoping. I've found that its typically not a matter of unsupportive members as much as it is a thing that members just don't know how to effectively share the gospel oft times. Ya know? How to go about it. They don't have to just invite friends to meet with missionaries. While that is usually the goal, there are many many ways to ultimately reach that goal that can provide greater chances of success. Missionaries need to help the members catch the vision perhaps. Who knows, I'm sure its different everywhere. Anyway, our ward is great. I love Connecticut and I love the people of Connecticut. I'm finally getting there.
We found this awesome new investigator this week! He's the nieghbor of a member, and we decided to knock the members street. This guy knew his member neighbor well and had a ton of respect for them. We initially met him before Christmas, but he said we could come back after the new year. So we did. We asked him a little about the Book of Mormon, showed him a copy, and before we had even said much of anything about it, he said "I will read this book." With a lot of sincerity. It was sweet! Toward the end he said "You guys may have caught me at just the right time in my life." Wow. Music to our ears! This guy is well off. He's doing just fine. Its very interesting. Of course I don't know where it will go, but the Lord prepares people. Rich or poor, I don't care. We have found two new people in the past two weeks, both in fine economic situations, who are very open to meeting with us and learning. Its very cool. There is a Temple coming to the land here, and the Lord is getting people ready for it. For creating eternal families. This first new guy said he basically let us in because of the great respect he had for his neighber - the member. So let it be known that the power of example is HUGE! And you just don't know when that person you've been thinking of might be ready for something.
We got some more snow the other day. It is so wonderful, I can't even believe it. Snow is beautiful. Fields blanketed in white. Actually I only saw one or two of those because trees cover everything else. But trees blanketed in white are just as beautiful. There is such a peaceful, calming feeling looking out at falling snow. And the consistency of the landscape when its all covered. Its special. White. And I got to shovel a little bit, and I really like to shovel snow. Only for other people, I'm sure when I come home and it snows a foot my interest in shoveling will rapidly decline:)
So tomorrow is transfer meeting. Elder Rogers is going home. Sad day. A very bittersweet one. I've learned TONS from him. Tons. He's one of the more impressive people I've met, possibly in my life. I will call him the best missionary that has served here in my two years. What in immense blessing to be his companion for two transfers. Though it will be very good for him to leave. For my sake, kind of. I tend to second guess myself a lot when around someone who seems to know. So I really need to try and take charge again. Rise up and stand taller. My confidence has been lacking a bit lately, and I don't like that. Now I'm hoping I'll be forced to forget myself and bury my head in the work more. Not that I haven't been, but Elder Rogers has mostly been in the position of knowing a little more than I do about what we're doing. But now it will be me in that position. At least it ought to be. My new companion is a super solid missionary too, probably much better than myself. He's from SLC. I went on an exchange with him last transfer. He's a lot a fun. We seemed to get along real good, so hopefully it will be an amazing LAST TRANSFER OF MY MISSION!! WHAT?!?! I don't know where that came from. Snuck right up on me. Oh and my new companion's name is Elder Burbidge. He came to my farewell. Crazy, huh? Mom I think you met his parents. And now we're companions! Wild style. I'm excited.
I've never much kept track of how many transfers I've been out and now suddenly I'm at the end. I'm glad I never counted. I always know the months though, so I guess that's pretty much the same thing. Well gosh...I have so many thoughts from day to day, I wish I could somehow remember them all and share them with you. Oh man, well I'm still reading the Book of Mormon, should be done in 2 weeks, but my gosh! I LOVE IT! Seriously I can pretty much count on feeling the spirit, being comforted, uplifted, and edified every single morning. Its been the most consistent feeling of the Spirit I've had my whole mission. Dude. The Book is amazing. Its so much deeper that I ever thought. I should have been reading that thing everyday my whole life! Words cannot express. I feel stupid for never catching the vision of it...basically until now. Like really catching the vision of it. And I'm sure five years from now I'll say the same thing over again. I'm starting to see what potential lies therein. Its so much more than just a book. For all the things I've been starting to consider could be found, I'm going to have to study it SO much. But I look forward to it.
I was thinking about the sacrament yesterday too, all the things we do. These funny little things. Yes they are symbolic, and we are taught the basic symbolism of things like the sacrament, and baptism and such, but I really can't help but think there is something more to it all. Perhaps just more symbolic, but more. I want to catch the broader and deeper vision of it all. The gospel plan, and all the steps we take as a part of it. Perspective. Fortunately I know how, it just takes a LOT of time and patience and some other stuff. I can hardly believe what a blessing it is to have an understanding of purpose. Even the little tiny bit that I do. We taught this family whose daughter was baptizaed earlier this year last night. The father is an excellent man, I love the guy. But he's got his own ideas about things, and I can't blame him too much for any of it. It just amazes me how one's interpretation of what we're doing here impacts their ideas and philosophies. And its really hard sometimes to get a person to test what we call the truth. What does a person have to loose? If its true...well its about the greatest thing a person could know. If its not, we're just another religion. And religion today is kinda silly. But why not experiment? Ya know? I think this family will come around over time. The daughter is incredibley solid. She's Laura's age. She's a true convert, which is really something to see at that age. Very cool.
Well, ya all are great. I love you. I'm terrified and excited about everything that lies ahead from tomorrow till the end. But I know what to do to receive the blessings of God. I hope I do them! Hope you do too.
Love Elder Kunz. Now I'm happy.



