Monday, January 31, 2011

The only intelligent thing to do.

This week flew like aviation. When I woke up yesterday morning I felt like I had just been to church and was now going again. Which is fine by me because I LOVE church. Its the bomb.com. Anyway, fast week, and this one is going to be faster because we're gonna be going around doing Zone Conferences again. We've been working on our training/presentation a bunch. They should be excellent meetings. I'm really excited. Some of the other missionaries presenting have been assigned some really good topics, so I am very interested to hear.

Apart from that, this week was great. Every week is just wonderful. I've found in my last three areas that the last transfer finds me loving what I do so much. Perhaps its the time that I've finally struggled through the learning curve of an area and been able to really take ahold of it. You'd think it wouldn't take me that long to get ahold, but different circumstances in each one seem to create that phenomenon for me. So I gotta soak it up! Savor it! Life is goooooood. Every day is enjoyable. I hope I can keep this fire when I come home, but I typically don't stay super consistent during drastic change and intense responsibility. But I'll figure it out. One way or another. Seems things always end up working out. I gotta remember that.

Wednesday Elder Burbidge and I tracted for several hours - something I haven't done for a while (not that long). But it was excellent! It was lightly snowing and the landscape was beautiful. There was a very positive feeling about it all. We tracted a pretty upscale neighborhood, but most people were relatively nice to us, even though most didn't want to listen particularly. I've been noticing that most folks do tend to be relatively polite and respectful. I think a certain measure of it is in the eye of the beholder, and I think people appreciate it when you don't just give them some robotic missionary spiel. Anyway, I've had many experiences out here where I've felt "deliverance" through tracting. I think its much the principle that work causes us to forget our troubles. Forget yourself and go to work, as Pres. Hinckley would say. Its nice. I still don't tend to think of tracting as particularly enjoyable, but I've had many good times doing it. My companion absolutely loves it! What I suppose I'll miss about the opportunity is to just be able to go out and talk to people. Human interaction is powerful! We need it. I guess there's no reason I can't just talk to random folks when I come home, but its different being in the position we're in out here. My point is that talking to people is great, and having something to talk about is also great. And talking with people can so quickly help us to cheer up sometimes.

I can't remember if I mentioned this last week, but last Sunday after church the Bishop called us into his office and there was this part-member family in there. Immediately I knew what was about to happen. The husband of this couple has been coming to church for 10 years with her. 10 years! No baptize. But last Sunday, he decided he was ready. Wow. So we got a "freebie." We went and taught him Thursday. I've never taught so many principles in one sitting. This guy already knows it all. He used to pay tithing! So interesting. The Lord has blessed us with a baptism. With a VERY prepared soul. 10 years prepared:) I'll share a neat side story about this whole situation next week. He's getting baptized Saturday. Its interesting because most of my baptisms are people that I've worked with for long periods of time, sometimes months! And I've been able to see them progress and grow into the Gospel. But his fella just came right along. Its just part of the game though I suppose. I'll take it! Silver platter.

Had an exchange with one of the Waterbury Elders this week. I stayed up in Avon, but it was fun to drive down there again. I've had all these awesome areas! In hindsight they were definitely challenging at times, but gosh isn't it nice that we tend to look back on life remembering the good times and less the bad. Its a tender mercy of the Lord.

I continue to have some neat little things happening on Facebook here and there. Contacting people and such. Its really cool to be part of the first stages of preaching the Gospel in such a new unique way. I really look forward to seeing how it all goes in the next 5-10 years. SO much potential on the internet. The times they are a changin! Its fun. But gosh I don't know how people spend so many hours on Facebook. Maybe someday I'll find out. But I really hope not!

So this guy Ben were working with, he's the one who has been reading and praying every day who I never thought would do it. We met with him again Sunday morning before church. He is a really fun guy. He big time has issues with the church's stance on a big issue, but he does recognize that there's something to it all. He recognizes that reading and praying has really made a difference in his life. It is really cool to see. He was saying, Its too easy! Elders have been telling me to do this for years, and I never did! But now he's doing two simple things. He's not even reading very much, a couple verses I think and praying. Exactly like what it says in Alma 37 at the end. I love it. I told this guy to not worry about the issues. Just read the book, say your prayers, and lets work on Jesus Christ (he grew up Jewish and doesn't have much of a foundation of Christ). Its pretty neat. Here is an opportunity for a guy to come to know his Savior. To understand the plan. We read the parable of the Debtor and Creditor that Pres. Packer tells. Anyway, I don't see this guy joining the church in the immediate future, but its really something to see him coming to the simple understanding of Christ and His role. It feels good. As I testified to him of what Christ can do for him and for all of us, it was excellent because I had this much stronger conviction as I've really come to realize and recognize how much He has strengthened me in my times of need. I could speak from experience. It was wonderful. Its truly amazing to experience strength beyond your own. To be able to do things you couldn't, or didn't think you could. What a BLESSING! The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real. It works. It will heal us in every way. Sounds like a fairy tale sometimes, but its not. It is a living reality. I know this and I love it!

Ah man, I wrote all that this morning and now I'm back. I've felt EXTREMELY lethargic today. Strange. Well one big thing happened since I wrote everything else...this is big news. Kinda sad, but its news. The Connecticut Hartford Mission...come July, 2011 will become... ...no more:(( It will become part of the Boston Massachusetts Mission! WE'RE GETTING DISOLVED!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!! Its really weird. Really weird. I'll be long gone, but its happening. We're about 70 some missionaries and I think they're about 120 give or take. So it'll be bigger. We kinda call ourselves the private school of missions around here. It really is a bit of a blessing, we get a lot more interaction with President, and with each other. Its more intimate. I love it.

Well that's probably all I'll say about that for now. Kind of sad, but so is life. My companion Elder Burbidge will be "The Last Connecticut Hartford Missionary." Lucky him I guess.

I finished the Book of Mormon this week! We've been reading it as a mission lately. I can't even begin to say how excellent that Book is. The more I read, the more I love, and it changes every time. The gospel is like the greatest adventure out there. It goes and goes and goes. It would be fun even if it wasn't true! People could get addicted to the gospel like they do world of warcraft and Halo! It would be sweet. Ha.

Well, I'm about to fall asleep here so I guess I'll let you all go. Sorry if I'm forgetting all kinds of details or other things. Sorry if this email is scattered. I feel really funny right now. I'm bored. Sometimes pdays just feel kinda worthless. Oh, someone slammed into the side of our car in a parking lot this week! Hit and RUN! Lame, huh? No notes, no nothing. Dishonesty man, its a shame. The world is a wild place today, I was looking at all the magazines in the rack waiting in line for groceries today. Its all just a bunch of garbage! Worthlessness. Sad people get all sucked into it. Celebrities and sex and scandal and bologna.

Uuumm...I also know that prayer is awesome and it works and life is better with it and I'm seeing how huge a role it can play when we do it (for better) and especially when we don't (for worse). Its funny now people automatically make these conclusions about God based on single experiences or circumstances. This happened, therefore there must be no God, or He doesn't care, and why would He let this happen. I have REALLY been seeing a few ways God just has every single thing figured out. He's a genius! Life is insane how well things just kinda come together sometimes and how people are where they are when they need to be and on and on and on. Let me tell you all that there is a God and He lives and He loves us. Everything we talk about is real. We learn by doing, so if people don't do, they don't know, and they can't say nothin about it.

I love you familia. HARD to believe this is about over. It really does seem like it wasn't long ago at all since we last met. Life is amazing.

Love Elder Kunz