Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Nice quote goes here. And do your hometeaching.

Well, for some reason we've been talking about Hawaii a lot lately and I want to go there soooooo bad! Ah it sounds so wonderful. Some quality R&R. Wouldn't that be nice. Yet it is a dream for this young boy right now. Patience... I read Pres. Uchtdorf's talk on Patience a few days ago. That talk is spot on. I swear the Quorum of the Twelve have got to be the smartest group of people on this earth. I love how he says that patience isn't just waiting, but actively working toward something too. Or something like that. Anyway, good things come to those who wait, right?!

So we continue to see all these people having these terrible problems. Its seems like every third person has a concern along the lines of why do bad things happen to good people? Why would a loving God let that happen? And "coincidentally" enough, Mom has been sending me lots of talks and resources on this topic, along with some other people like Susan Powers. So I feel like I understand the purpose of suffering quite well at this point. Yet when I try to explain it to people, they often don't want to hear it. It's really hard to explain it well to a person who doesn't have the same eternal perspective. The same knowledge and understanding of God's purpose and plan.

It's interesting what people will do in difficult circumstances. Those with no testimonies, or weak testimonies, begin to question God. How could there be a God when all this and that is happening?! But those with strong testimonies, who have great faith, don't. In our trials we become acquainted with God, as one Pioneer put it. Those with faith put their trust in God and receive help and strength in challenging times. And its very interesting to observe the difference in these two types of people. Unfortunately most around here seem to be of the former class of people, quick to dismiss their creator because of some hard times. Regardless of the different people's attitudes, I feel for them all and can't believe the things some people here have to endure! Agency is a precious gift, but it sure can be a killer! There is so much evil in the world today. Its crazy to me sometimes.

We ate at this Albanian less active lady's house this week. Oh my gosh. I have not been so full since like, Germany. We walked in and everything was already on plates, at the table, and we were expected to eat. We could have fed our family with all this, but there was only two of us. But - it was soooo gooood. She made this, basically eggplant parmesan, but way way better than that. The best eggplant parm you ever had times 3. And a bunch of other stuff. Best food I've had in Waterbury. She treats us like kings, its crazy. Gold silverware from a case, really really nice plates, its wild. Makes me feel like I need to work a lot harder for people like this who esteem us so highly. Sometimes I think other people understand our calling better than we do.

I had interviews with President Pehrson this week too. It was great. I really like talking with President. Interviews are always a piece of cake for me. Some people get kinda nervous for them. I think if you just do what you're supposed to, there's no worries. Sometimes I wish he would tell me to do something. To work on something, or shape up. I know there are plenty of ways I could, but I guess I need to take the initiative on my own. I love the scripture in DC 58 about being anxiously engaged in a good cause and that we shouldn't need to be compelled in all things. Sometimes it would be nice to just be told what to do, and not have to think so hard about everything, but that's all part of the game I think. I think there's kind of an issue with that in our mission. Needing a rule for every little thing sometimes. We should understand our purpose and be mindful of it always. This is something we all struggle with, and I need to work on it as much as the next Elder, but really, we've been given the law, and if we understand the gospel, we should be able to apply it to different circumstances. Like caffeine - this has come up a couple times lately. The Word of WIsdom doesn't say don't drink caffeine. But a person ought to be able to read/study the Word of Wisdom, and hopefully understand the purpose it was given, and apply it in their lives. We don't abstain from coffee because of the caffeine, its for other reasons. Soda isn't particularly good for a person, so its our choice if were going to drink it or not, but the church shouldn't need to tell us each and every little thing to do, ya know? We're smart, we have minds. We have the letter of the law, and we use the spirit of the law to understand it. Something like that. Sorry I don't know where all that came from.

Is it still basically spring time in Idaho? Good gracious this past Tuesday and Wednesday were TORTURE! Dad you would have been in Heaven. It was 95 degrees with mad humidity. Sweat! I had a red blotch on my collar from my tie bleeding through. It came out though. Wow, man it was a heater. Then it rained Wednesday night like nobody's business. An insane hail and lightning storm woke us up in the middle of the night. I have NEVER seen so much lighting in my life. I've never seen half this much lightning! I got a little bit of video, but of course it doesn't do it justice. It was way cool though, I do love thunderstorms. Boom flash flash boom.

Well I think that's about all I've got for all you darlings today. I am happy. Elder Reynolds and I decided we are happy and have good attitudes. It works. People are so important. Relationships. We need them. What a blessing to have good ones, and it is the gospel of Jesus Christ that makes good ones. So lets learn to apply it well, to ourselves and to others. The first great commandment is LOVE! Love you!

David