Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The blessing of the Lord fail not, if you are faithful. Pres. Pehrson

Man I don't even know where to begin... I'll start by saying that the blessings of the Lord are being bounteously poured all over my head. After a week in my new area of Hamden, I'm kinda getting a feel for the place. Its a HUGE area, I'm not sure I'll really even get the hang of it before I leave, but I'll try. I live in Hamden, but we also cover North Haven, West Haven, Orange, Milford, Ansonia, Derby, Woodbridge (thats where the church is), and Bethany. Its a landmass! But I guess...somewhere down in West Haven or Milford...there's... A TRADER JOES! Ha I don't know if I'll actually get to spend much time in there, but maybe a li'l. Ha. Trader Joes.

Its been a little overwhelming, but hopefully I'll get in the swing of things pretty quick. I feel like there's a million and seventy nine things to talk about. I'll probably forget them all. So we have some AMAZING investigators. Three in particular that were found the day before I came, and a few days before. So basically I got extremely lucky to just pop into an area where there are a few folks who have been prepared by the Lord more than anyone I have ever seen in my life. Its mind blowing. This couple, Alexandra and Nicholas. Holy smokes, you don't even know. We set a baptism date for July 17th. Alexandra knows the Book of Mormon is true already. Why? Because she reads it! A lot! She feels it. This area is much different than Waterbury. I can't tell you what a blessing it is just to teach people who are smart and reliable. Who think. Who ask legit questions. Makes me feel like I'm really doing something worthwhile. Like I'm getting to see the fruits of my labors. Yet on the other hand, I feel like I don't have to do anything! They are so ready and prepared, all that has to be done is for us to teach the lessons, and walk them into the font. That's what it feels like with them. It's crazy. We've had several fantastic lessons with them this week. They're the nicest, happiest people you've ever met! I think I forget sometimes that there are such people out there! Genuinely good hearted people. But I think that's because of the context that I meet most people in. Had we knocked on the door of these 2 people, who knows if they'd of let us in. They were invited to church by some member friends. Imagine that. Member missionary work. Who'da thought!

But yea, I know there are plenty of great people out there, they just don't always give us the chance to get to know them that way when we try to talk to them as missionaries. I guess its the nature of the beast! Bummer.

We have this other young woman who is wonderful too. She is driving me absolutely crazy because I swear I know her or something. She reminds me of someone but I cannot for the life of me figure it out! Its driving nuts! Her name is Talitha. Her looks, personality, expressions...I can't figure out who she reminds me of. I want to know so bad. She's awesome too. Got a wild story, what little I've heard, but is in a perfect place for the gospel now. She was given a Book of Mormon 8 years ago. Alexandra and Nicholas were given one 5 years ago. So let it be known that NO EFFORT IS WASTED in the Lord's work.

The ward here, the Woodbridge Ward...geeze, coming from Waterbury (not that Waterbury was bad), this place feels like the promised land! People are way on top of things! Its amazing. I think it will be an excellent opportunity for me to get to see the inner workings of a good ward and get more acquainted with the processes and all. I love the church, its so great! Such a beautiful organization. I had no idea what efforts are put forth on behalf of many of the members and people involved. Things I never knew growing up. The church exemplifies love so well when properly organized and executed.

Continuing with the "promised land," our apartment is amazing. It feels like a hotel. Its roomy, its in this really really nice complex, we have a gym, a pool we can't swim in (ha), computers we can use on pday, laundry in the hallway, the list goes on. It is soooo nice. Its cushy. All this in combination with the great new people we are teaching...I feel like I don't deserve this! I don't feel like I work hard enough for all these luxuries! And I have been being blessed with great companions! WHY?? I will miss Elder Reynolds man, we had so much fun together. The District I'm in, Elder Forbes is the new district leader for it. He was my MTC companion with Elder Reynolds, we were a threesome if you recall. Having served with Elder Reynolds, and now getting to serve much closer to Elder Forbes, it is so cool to see how these two have grown over the past year! I love it! I think I don't see the changes the mission has on me as readily (although I do see it), but I do see it in others. It is so cool. They are doing great. From the MTC to now...its incredible. Change in attitude, leadership, desire, its great! Gosh missions are so beyond anything in this world.

I hit 16 months this week and its wild. I really don't want it to stop. Maybe when I get to 23 months I might, but I feel like I should only be at like 8 months or something. I keep thinking what a strange phenomenon it is that something that can be so hard each day, so demanding and stretching, can also be something that I really want to do when it comes down to it. I was thinking the other day, what if I had to go home for some reason, or was given the option or something. It felt so off to think about being home. Like, what is there for me right now besides family? Nothing it felt like. I want to be here more than anywhere else, and I am really happy that I have that feeling.

So the time of transition is a challenge, but I do enjoy a challenge. I've been feeling a great desire, almost need, to rise up. To dig deep as President Pehrson asked us a while back. Its really hard right now, not knowing much about my new situation and the area and the people. Shows how important knowledge is and perhaps why are so strongly counciled to seek it.

Ah holy moley, three of my companions went home last week! Elder Tharp, my trainer, who I coincidently replaced here in Hamden, Elder Low, and Elder Pikyavit. I loved all three of those guys, and was sad to see them go. We're losing a bunch more awesome missionaries this transfer too, the face of our mission is really changing! We got 14 new missionaries, and were getting more this transfer! Its a bigtime change. Kinda fun though, we haven't had a solid flock of new blood for, pretty much as long as I've been out. Just a little here little there. So its fun to have some new kids. New spirit, new faith. My generation is becomeing the "older", "wiser", more experienced of the mission. Its weird. I felt like the new kid for so long because no one was ever coming out when our missions size was decreasing. Its a bummer to say goodbye to friends I make out here. I've loved learning that people don't have to be just like me for me to be friends with them. I hate that I wasted so much time thinking that I was special or didn't mesh with people becuase of my style or ideas or whatever other excuse I would come up with to shield myself from so many great people in the world. I've learned out here that you can get along with anyone, and I look forward to trying to reach out to others much more when I go home. Forget myself!

I feel like I've been a bit more in tune with the Spirit lately. Like I can feel it and be edified by it way more often, by smaller simpler things. Its great!

This week was the best I've maybe ever had overall, by way of numbers. We taught a good handful of member present lessons, set 2 baptism dates (I rarely get to do this with people for some reason!), found 3 new investigators, and a bunch of other great stuff. So many blessings!

I've had this strange feeling since being here. I don't know exactly what it is. I've had all these interesting observations. There are several people that look SO familiar. There have been a couple random coincidences. Ones that seem to bear absolutely no significance. Some folks don't believe in coincidence. I'm not totally sure, but these little things I'm referring to, I can't make any connection to anything, so it makes me wonder why I feel like there have been so many of them. Its interesting. Just thoughts in my head I suppose. I feel like there is some connection. Something. Ha I'm crazy.

Well I've been rambling on and on, so I guess I'll wrap it up! I feel way too blessed right now. Life is good. Being a missionary is wonderful. Better than anything I could ever possibly be doing. So many opportunities. Endless I think, if you're motivated enough. I hope all is well with everyone, I love you!

I love Jesus Christ and I love His beautiful perfect gospel!

Elder Kunz