Monday, May 17, 2010

Somewhere over the rainbow baby.

Alright, so its been a pretty good week. Tuesday we had a bit of a blow up with an investigator who I really liked but who is really hot/cold and I could never tell what the heck each visit was going to be like. I think he might be a little unstable, I'm not sure, I've just never picked up on it or considered it till now. Anyway, I was real bummed out and it was really bringing me down. Just thinking about it frustrates me big time. Anyway, immediately after that we went tracting and the second house we knocked on this young guy lets us come in. Who in the world knows why, I still can't believe he did. His name is Bill. He looks about 30 and he is a real smart guy. Electrical engineer. We taught him about the Restoration and he told us about this book that is basically his own religious path. It sounds to be a pretty great book. Shows that there is surely good in many different churches and organizations and such things. They just don't have the fulness. Anyway, this guy understands the principles and doctrines of the gospel extremely well. He just has different names and terminology. You know what I mean? So many things he would bring up I'd just be thinking wow I can't believe you just said that, not referencing the word of wisdom or the repentence or the holy ghost or whatever it was. He seems to be able to understand all these principles that help us be happy in life, he just doesn't have the right frame to put them in, you might say. It was pretty cool. But when we told him about the Book of Mormon and read from it a little bit, he said he could tell there was something special about that book. It was awesome. Amazing how the Lord prepares people. How some people seem to have the materials, they just need the mold to put them in. Or something like that. So it was a wonderful thing that the Lord delivered us (mostly me) from this awful state I was in after losing a great investigator, by blessing us with a new one basically immediately. But oh that cunning plan of the evil one. It is so unfortunate how people are deceived, even after having such great and wonderful experiences with the Spirit. So sad. But Bill, man, he is a chatter box. He seems to think there's something to it because he says he doesn't usually feel the need to explain every little detail to most people like he does to us. Its interesting.

Elder Reynolds is great. Seriously it has been such a blessing so far. I don't think I've had a companion yet where the relationship part was just so easy. I know we'll only be together one transfer, but its been a good one so far. He's motivated, CLEAN!, systematic, simple. I can't believe we are serving together.

We had zone conference this week too. President Pehrson has been focusing on Discipleship lately a lot. Its good. If we are truly disciples of Christ, he doesn't have to worry about us. I really like the idea. In all our thoughts, words, deeds, etc, are we disciples? I am very impressed with President's love for each one of us. He mentioned how he has had to learn to love us for who we are (like children of God kinda thing). He has such a strong desire for each of us to serve a successful mission. You get the idea that he will die trying to help us reach our potential. Its a wonderful thing, to know someone cares to much. It makes me think of that great scripture in 2 Nephi - by grace we are saved, after all we can do. President does the best he can for us. The best he knows how. But it is up to us to actually act upon his council. To apply it. As we do, we will surely become better and better. He can't make us reach our potential, we have to do the doing part. But he can guide us. We have to listen and act. He is a great mission president, very powerful.

We listened to this book Mom sent me this week called Believing Christ, by Stephen E. Robinson. Great book. Lots of insight for me. I kinda realized how much I'd been trying to save myself. I know I can't be perfect, but I guess I felt like I could, if I really really tried, get pretty dang close or something. So I was often feeling like I was blowing it by not trying hard enough. I don't know, I think it helped me see how much more I need to use and apply the Atonement in my life. Always good to be spiritually fed. The gospel is so incredible. Its infinite. I could spend the next 10,000 years learning from the same books and principles. There's nothing else like that in the world. Its eternal isn't it. Yes!

Things are good, still learning a ton, I hope I remember half of it.

Love,
David