Hello. I'm totally blanking out right now. This week has felt completely regular. I really don't know much of what to say. Usually when I say that I end up rambling on about something for a long long time. We'll see I guess.
We're getting 13 new Elders, all English speaking, in June. That will be crazy. I don't think our mission has had anything like that in probably close to 2 years. So it will be kinda wild for us all I think. There's barely enough people in a good enough position to train that many Elders! Plus we have a lot of leadership going home around then too. It will be an interesting next couple of months. Oh - I hit 14 months yesterday. Time is passing. I'm almost to where I'll probably start counting down instead of counting up. We'll see.
Waterbury. This place is so strange. Something was mentioned in District meeting though that I liked. I had to like it. We sang Come Come Ye Saints. "Why should we think to earn a great reward, if we now shun the fight?" Good line huh. Its perfect. Can't expect a handout. And then - "and soon we'll have this tale to tell." If you think about Pioneer stories, they are great. They are amazing and powerful and motivating. Why? Usually its because of some crazy situation they endured, or some great trial the people faced with faith and overcame it. Something like that, would you agree? Its the suffering that makes the story great! Isn't it?! I like that. Kinda made me feel good. If we're gonna have any kind of tale to tell, we probably are going to have to endure something difficult. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a story I suppose. Its the suffering that makes the story great.
Okay...my companion is a wonderful boy. He is just full of love. It amazes me sometimes. He does not hesitate to give of himself. He really doesn't hesitate. I hesitate. I'm selfish. Elder Mansfield is just happy to offer himself to others. I could learn a thing or two or three from him in that sense. And I am. We had a funny little chat the other day. I absolutely agree that we can accomplish anything we set our minds to. That we can do anything. But I don't feel like I can do everything. Like, all the different things I think would be great to do and accomplish and be in life... I don't know if I take to the idea that all of them can be accomplished. But he does. Anyway, I feel like its just part of life to have to prioritize. To choose what matters most over other matters. Like, there are all kinds of things I would love to do. But I can't. I can't do them all. I have to pick. I have to be wise. But Elder Mansfield completely disagrees. What do you guys think? Can all of my dreams in life come true? Even random ones? I wish you could meet this kid. He is great, you'd probably get a real kick out of him. Maybe someday. He said he had an epiphany that I need to relax. Ha, he's probably right about that one.
One thing I guess I'll close with now that I'm not blanking anymore I guess, is how wonderfully simple the gospel is. I went on a short exchange to an appointment with Elder Taylor this week because his companion was real sick, and they had an important appointment. The lady speaks Portuguese, but they teach her in English cause they don't speak Portuguese. The lady speaks decent enough English. Just gotta be real simple. This lady is a sweetheart. I loved her. We have to teach simply. But her heart is prepared, and she readily accepts most things. We were talking afterwards about how we are so used to having to defend the gospel with people here. People have questions and want to dispute things and we come up with these responses and such. But this woman, when she had questions, it was like it was more just so she knew what was right than to question our logic or something. You know what I mean? I feel like this has been one of the great blessings of being on a mission. Seeing the simplicity of gospel. This woman was taught simply. She understood. She had good questions. When they were simply answered, she had faith, accepted them, and applied them. And she is being blessed. People so often have to get into all the whys and hows, when all you have to do is humbly seek an answer with an open heart. We are so quick to question, and so slow to trust it seems. Well, people I work with are. Rob, man, we have explained everything he has ever asked us clearly enough that he accepts it after a lesson. Yet he still has one concern after another. Every time we go over there. I am positive that this will go on forever (no it won't cause if it did we would drop him) if he won't address his root concern. Not quite positive what it is, at this moment. Anyway, he knows the church is true deep down, but always has some "branch" concern that regrows after we cut off the last one. He needs to just be baptized and trust that there is a reason for all things the Lord has done and asks us to do. And that having the Holy Ghost will help him to understand these things more.
Wow, that turned into a poorly organized essay. Sorry. This stuff is probably incredibly boring to you guys, I apologize. Things are good. The Lord continues to bless me. He definitely does, in many ways.
The trees are blooming a little more and a little more, and that does make a nice difference. Weather's been a little chillier. Transfers in 2 weeks. I'm kind of afraid I'm going to be here in Waterbury for a long long long time. We have got to find some people to teach! It is so hard to turn people we meet into actual investigators. This work is hard! As Jeffery R. Holland put it, it was hard for Him, it will be hard for us (it was something like that). Salvation is not a cheap experience.
Love ya,
David



