Good day my people-
I'm staying in Madison/Clinton for another transfer. Again with Elder Tharp! Its kinda wild, 3 transfers, same place, same person. This will make 7 1/2 months for Elder Tharp here after this transfer. Its interesting to think what will happen after this one...they are closing an area right next to ours, which we will take over, and I'm quite sure that Elder Tharp will leave next transfer (we were all thinking that this transfer), so more than likely it will be me with a lot of responsibility. I'm down with that and all, but there are times that I do wish I could move on somewhere else and try something new. But basically I think I can count on spending the next 3 months here. I'm betting. We'll see. There's a lot to learn here though.
This transfer though - some good things are going to happen. This Haitian lady was supposed to get baptized yesterday, but she had a little setback with the word of wisdom last monday. She kinda struggles with heroine. Just kidding, it was just a glass of wine I guess. Ha. But she's on track and should go down in the water in 2-3 weeks. Her name is Anique. She's gonna be setting a powerful example for the rest of her family that I know will eventually be baptized. Just a matter of time with these guys. Really humble awesome people.
The other night we had this crazy dramatic ordeal with Anique. We had to talk and talk to her and keep her on the phone until we could get to her house so she wouldn't leave and we could talk to her in person (we were kinda in the area). Its a long story with lots of details, but there was some drama and some testimony (not even from us!) and all that fun stuff. Ultimately it ended in pretty much the best possible scenario. Anique lives with her less active brother and his family. At the end of our visit her brother, after getting really serious with Anique (He's only less active because of this funny work situation. I think he loves God more than any of us. He's a very powerful guy), said ok thats it everyone, we are all going to church tomorrow. So we had this whole family come. It probably doesn't sound that cool because I'm leaving out 95% of the details, but it was great! That, in addition to one or two other things that happened that evening, made me finally feel like a missionary. Like I was actually doing something real. Its easy to get stuck going through the motions out here.
Rick! Rick goes in for his big surgery in 2 weeks, maybe less. Scary stuff, but he's ready for it and whatever might happen. So much faith in this guy. Contrite spirit. We set a baptism date with him last night. I'm pumped. He came to church yesterday for the first time too! Oh man it was fantastic! We were lucky, there was a great speaker who spoke on temples. I can't even explain it all it was too good to be true. Like everything finally came together. Rick is gonna have to quit smoking and coffee. The coffee might be a nightmare. We'll see. Also he's gonna have to get married. It might be a crazy road, but it might be easy. If only ya all could meet this guy and talk to him. HIs time is now for the gospel. He's been with his "wife" for like 15 years or something and they have two kids and are super happy together and completely committed, so its just a matter of actually doing the marriage thing. I just hope there isn't something...something keeping them from it. We'll see.
Anyway, then yesterday we rode our bikes way, way far because we are out of miles (last day of the month), left them at a members house and got a ride even further away, taught Rick, realized we left the cell phone sitting on the car 20 miles away, walked to another members house, couldn't use his phone because he is poor and out of cell phone minutes (meanwhile were supposed to be home in like 10 minutes), walked to a part member family's house, who we are teaching, and the non-member investigator ended up giving us a ride home. I absolutely loved it. We were running down the street in the dark with no phone no ride no plan no nothing. Just going. Totally by the seat of our pants. Missionary work is pretty much planned out completely. Ideally every hour of the day is planned out to the T. Where we’re gonna be, what we’re gonna be doing, what we’re gonna be teaching, for how long, and a back up plan with all those things. Always planned. But this was more like I'm used to and what I enjoy. Just out, not sure what’s gonna happen or how we'll work things out. You just know that one way or another, they will get worked out. I love it.
Alright that was a long story with no details and probably not much entertainment to all of you.
Oh, so that sacrament talk on the temples the guy gave, man it was great. It was like a fireside with a GA or something. And it was completely investigator friendly too, so we got really really lucky. Anyway, I love how at the temple, doing the baptisms and stuff...we do what those poeple can't do for themselves. We can't redeem ourselves from our sins. Christ had to do that for us. He did what we couldn't do for ourselves. Baptism gives us access to that opportunity to be forgiven and cleansed. Doing all the things we do in the temple gives us that chance to do for the dead what they cannot do. We’re like their saviors! Well obviously not, that’s Jesus, but we get to play a role. What an amazing act of service we are able to do for spirits out there. I miss the temple so much. It’s only been a few months and I want to go soooooo bad. Gosh.
Alright I got nothing left at the moment and feel like I’m just rambling. Love you all so much so much so much! Really! You're all amazing! Love David.



