Good Morning!
So this was a pretty decent week. I enjoyed it. We had success in some areas we haven't been lately, and that always feels good. Its always a struggle, the work, but we figure it out. I get the feeling that I'm starting to really get it now, and that by the time I think I really am able to act on everything that I "get", it will be time to go home. Isn't that always the way. Great. Well I hope I do "get it" in the end, and come home with it.
So I officially hit the 18 month mile stone this week. Point seven five baby. Doesn't sink in at all. People say it flies, but to me its still going pretty same old pace. I like it that way. But man I know that I am going to miss this SO bad when I get back. I get that feeling from time to time, and it almost hurts! And I'm still here! Gosh its not going to be fun at those times when it hits me that I will never be able to do this again. Its so bittersweet because there are times of the day when we are so tired and WE DO NOT WANT TO DO what we are doing. We want to be home. We want to be done. And then later that day, everything's cool, and missionary work is great. Why does it have to be like that!?! Ha ha.
Its been a good time to evaluate myself though. I set a few little goals/reassessed some old ones. Think about my progress and what I've done/become. Its hard though, there's this balance between two things. On the one hand, I hope and pray so much that I will become who the Lord wanted me to after all this. On the other, why would I worry to have become anything after something that has blessed me so much, that the Lord so graciously gave to me? You know what I mean? Sure I hope I've become better, but at the same time, I'm just eternally grateful for everything that has happened to me out here. Whether I'm better or not. I suppose one kind of comes with the other if you have the right attitude. I'm having trouble conveying my point so I'll stop with this one.
Were lucky here right now because of the 4 Elders I came out with, 3 of us are real close right here. Elder Miller and I together, and Elder Forbes is just in New Haven. So we all went out to Lunch on Wednesday to this Pizza place for this infamous Mashed Potato and Bacon Pizza. Ha, crazy sounding eh. Its got a white sauce on it and a bunch of garlic too. TONS of flavor. Tons. Ha it was fun. We missed Elder Reynolds, but its sweet I did get to serve with him for time.
I don't know if ya all remember me talking about this guy John, but we had a fantastic lesson with him the other day too. Gosh this guy impresses me. He really does. He is a thinker and it makes me so happy when people use their brains and really think things through. He still not a hundred percent on some stuff, but he is definitely coming along. I have faith in this guy and his open heart. We taught him the plan of Salvation and he really liked it. For a lot of people the first half isn't too different from what they believe. But by the end he said it answered a lot of questions he'd always had. He came up catholic, and had been taught about pergatory, but he told us how the church made that up in the medieval times to make a few extra bucks from the rich folks. Something like that. So he just knew what he didn't believe. We taught him this, read much of it from the scriptures, and he believed it. Its so simple and perfect. John is great. He agreed with the degrees of glory too. He's mentioned to us before that he doesn't feel like he's going to hell, but he sure isn't enough of a saint to make it to heaven. So what happens to him? Now he gets it. I don't think he quite picked up on that he could make it to "heaven" by doing a few more things than he already is. We invited him to be baptized, and it turned out that he thought that baptism was to erase original sin (catholic doctrine). He doesn't agree with original sin, so in that sense, he didn't understand the need for baptism. We found a great scripture and explained it in a nutshell. He said if he came to know these things, he definitely would. I think if he starts coming to church, things would really progress, but he works Sundays and has tried to get them off in the past, but his employer is not a very nice person, he says. Darn.
Anyway, John is sweet, and is a perfect example of people who are kept from the truth because they know not where to find it. He is a person that I know we are currently teaching because the Lord knows he is ready for it. I think he knows it too. He wants it to be true, he's just got his human skepticism about some different things. Not really doctrine we've taught him, just about people. The church is perfect. Man is not. He's way down with Joseph Smith though. It makes perfect sense to him that he is a prophet. Now we just got to get the other pieces to fall into place.
I sure wish I had a bunch of other sweet people to tell you about, but they just haven't been coming up lately. Still building a foundation for good missionary work in this area I suppose. We're trying hard though and I know it will pay off in time. This ward here is so wonderful. I love them all, so many neat people. I love the saints of Connecticut.
I went on an exchange in New Haven this week. It was fun to walk around in a city again. Its so interesting the difference in people from the city to the suburbs. I was blessed to spend 6 months in Hartford for sure. Loved it there. So many good memories. I was with this new missionary, second transfer out. He's great. Fantastic attitude. There is a lot of really good new blood in our mission right now. In the next year I think we'll see some wonderful things happening. I love seeing good young kids come out. I admire them.
I've been impressed with service and charity lately. Charity of course being the most important attribute we can acquire. Perhaps the two are almost synonymous. I just keep being reminded of how serving others is what makes us happy. Selflessly serving others that is. Its something I need so much help with! Especially with my companions. I've never become especially good at just loving them, regardless of imperfections or whatever else. I've loved all my companions for different reasons, but can't seem to just love them. Accept them and their good qualities. I pray I can come to figure that out in the months to come. Service is what it is all about. I feel like I always have other motives or priorities or something else that gets in the way of the true joy that can be found in it. Darnit.
Alright well I guess I'll leave it at that. Alexandra and Nicolas continue to be the most amazing converts in the world. He taught the gospel principles class yesterday. Baptized last month. You'd never know it. Get in the Lords business and He'll get into yours. Alexandra is contacting the missionaries in NYC to teach their family who has agreed to meet with the missionaries. All on her own. These two never cease to amaze me. I wish you could meet them. They are two special people who will do wonderful things in this church. Such a blessing to be a part of their lives. Talitha is having some struggles but I don't really know what because she hasn't been communicating with us too well. She'll be fine, just having some personal difficulties.
Uuummmm... 6 more months! Crazy, eh? Home stretch kinda. but its still forever away. I'll be a missionary forever! Sometimes I think it would be better that way. Its always felt like it will never end. So I can't hardly grasp now that it will eventually happen. Ah well, take it as it comes.
Can ya all believe summer is all but over? I think it goes faster as a missionary than anything else. But I'm down with that. Bring on the Fall baby! Colors and sweaters and pumpkins and all that jazz. And jazz. I guess.
Love you all! Wherever you are, there you are.
Elder Kunz



