Sunday, March 22, 2009

Monday, March 16, 2009 - Clinton, Connecticut

Alright - I'm here and its crazy! Well, its not crazy, but its pretty much crazy. My trainer is great. Very humble, very level headed about the work, and wants to do a good job and he does. I'm learning a lot from him. There are some great Elders out here though and I feel very inadequate and intimidated! Especially my first few days. But I'm slowly feeling better. It will take time for sure. Its hard not knowing the area so well and none of the members and all. But the Lord has really helped me as I've pleaded with him to every night.

The ward here is really good. Our ward mission leader is...amazing. I'm pretty sure he's gotta be the best one there ever has been. He's got this calender thing where he's arranged for us to have a member to come out with us just about every night of the week. Its awesome. There's a lot of support for us out here.

So I'm on the coast, but haven't seen too much of it yet. We take a run out to the water in the morning, glad my companion likes to exercise too. Its a really large area. And we drive a van! Weird, huh. I don't like it at all actually, but what are ya gonna do. We cover like 10-12 towns, so we're always driving around. I gotta get a bike real soon though.  I need the leaves to start blooming because right now everything all dead and brown and its kinda depressing. I feel like I'm in a horror movie or something. But the forests are cool with all the trees and such. Another couple weeks I guess, and things should get real nice.

Easterners are crazy! They all talk funny! And they talk and talk and talk and talk!!! About anything. All the time. They don't even realize it, they just do it. So easily distracted, its frustrating. One minute were telling them about apostasy and before you know it they've made their way to dog breeding or something crazy like that.

We finally got ahold of this awesome family yesterday. They're so ready for this church, I just hope we can say the right things and get them to church and feel the spirit and all. It would be so awesome to have my first baptism be a family! We taught the first lesson yesterday and it was sweet. I've got the first vision account all memorized and you can bring an amazing spirit into a home reciting that. slow it down and be real sincere. Its pretty cool. The Stokes. Pray for 'em.

What else... I live in a small apt but I like it. It RIGHT next to the train tracks. We took the train to district mtg the other day, it was cool, reminded me of Europe a little...A lot of the people we teach are on government aid and are these rough people from the sticks.  The ecomony is definitely hitting hard around here, seems like every other person we talk to just lost their job.

I miss the comforts of home and all the small simple things we take for granted. Even Church in a strange new environment isn't the same. But holy moly I cannot even WAIT for Conference in 3 weeks. That is going to be GLORIOUS!! YES! I'm pretty sure its gonna blow my mind. Or my spirit. Hopefully the latter. Or both.

LOVE love love.
Elder Kunz